Surgery lifts and firms sagging facial tissues to restore a more natural youthful facial appearance. It helps a patient look like a younger version of him or herself. By removing excess, sagging skin, smoothing deep folds, and lifting and tightening the deep facial tissues, a facelift surgery can help a patient look not just younger, but simply “better.”
- If you feel self-conscious about the way your face & neck look due to sagging skin and are forced to wear turtlenecks and scarves to hide the aging neck.
- Your face makes you look much older than you feel.
- If you feel that an aging appearance is negatively affecting your career or personal relationships
There are various options for face lift surgery in Mumbai or Rhytidectomy in general; those are as follows:
Regardless of the type of facelift you undergo, you will have incisions that involve the skin around your ear. The incision line usually runs along hairline and within the natural contours in front and behind the ears. Skin is then pulled back and the incision is closed.
- Standard facelift: Your surgeon will make incisions in your hairline at the temples, continuing down and around the front of your ears and hidden in the natural creases behind your ears in your lower hair-bearing scalp.
- Mini facelift: Your surgeon will make short incisions in your hairline, starting at your temples and continuing down and around the front of your ears, hidden in the natural creases. There may also be incisions in the lower eyelids, temporal area, or under the upper lip.
- Neck lift: Your surgeon will make incisions starting in front of your earlobes and continuing around behind your ears in your lower scalp. There will also be a small incision underneath your chin.
Immediately following surgery, you may be placed in a compression garment. Wear this exactly as directed. Remove it only as directed for cleansing incisions or showering. You will have a mild to moderate amount of pain and discomfort. This should be easily controlled with oral medications. The discomfort and pain should begin to decrease within forty-eight hours after surgery. If you have a significant increase in pain after this period, call your plastic surgeon. Severe pain is rare; if you experience this, call the doctor immediately.
Expect bruising and swelling. These symptoms will peak within the first thirty-six to forty-eight hours after surgery and will gradually subside over the next ten to fourteen days. To minimize swelling, sleep with your head elevated for a couple of weeks after the surgery.
You may not drive for at least a week after surgery.
A feeling of tightness in your neck is not unusual after surgery. This sensation is most pronounced in the first one to two days after surgery while the bulky dressing is in place.
During your first postoperative visit, the bulky dressing and usually the drains will be removed. You may be placed in a supportive elastic face garment that is to be worn according to your doctor’s instructions.
You may wash your hair gently twenty-four hours after your surgery. You may shower or bathe the day after surgery, but do not let the spray directly strike your face. It is permissible to get your suture lines wet, however.
Refrain from any strenuous exercise and from bending or lifting for a period of 6 weeks.
During the first four to six weeks your scars may appear red and be slightly firm and raised then the redness fades and the scar softens. It takes a minimum of one year for the scar to achieve its final appearance.
Your genes, skin quality, and maintenance routine are important factors in the longevity of your facelift. Depending on the surgical technique results last anywhere from 5 yrs. to 10 yrs.